My 6 year old son came home from a weekend at his Dad's to a big smile and a tight hug from me. Within minutes though, he & his sister were upstairs and a fight ensued. The climax of the argument came when he screamed that she was a "stupid fuckface!". Are you kidding me? Did I hear correctly? Where on earth did that come from? He immediately lost video game (on my old iphone) privileges for a week. His response? "I don't care, I have an iPad at Daddy's house". Oh yes he did. Which prompted a stern lecture, with my daughter right there so I could be certain she heard it too, about not EVER playing one parent against the other because it will backfire every.single.time. Totally offside behaviour, especially from a 6 year old. I would never have dared to say such a thing around my parents, at any age. I'm just now starting to drop f-bombs around my Dad and I'm 34 years older than my son! I am praying he's just trying to push boundaries and that he's noticing that they're not budging. And praying that my ex backs me up. And praying that my kids are good teenagers because I'm not going to have an easy time with even the easiest of teenagers. Petulance & attitude are not my thing. They take me from zero to rage in less than 60 seconds.
The toughest part for me to handle though is the switch back to sweetness. I drove them to school and he wrapped his arms around my neck and planted a mushy grade 1 kiss on me and told me he loved me. God, how I love him too. I guess I can't use the "is that the same mouth you kiss your mother with?" line the next time he calls his sister a horrible name, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment