Tomorrow the kids go back to school. They spent the first week with their dad and I loved the first 4 or 5 days and then missed them like crazy. Likewise it was all bliss for the first 4 or 5 days back and now I'm ready for school. Hell, if I was even a tiny bit religious, I'd have sent them to Sunday school this morning (and purposely avoided the sanctuary in lieu of breakfast alone ... and probably not have started that sentence with "hell"). Anything to get them to stop poking, whining, tattling or screaming at each other. I went grocery shopping with them this morning and it was so bad I came home, ripped open a box of Pop Tarts and ate six (6!) while standing at the kitchen counter. Healthy decision Laurie, healthy decision.
I have a whole bunch of clutter in my house and in my head that needs tending to. The house stuff is pretty clear: throw shit out. My goal is to throw out about 50% of the stuff I have. I'm talking relentless, full-contact decluttering. If the kids aren't playing with it right now? Gone. If it's not been on my body in the last 10 days? Buh bye. If it's in the fridge and expired over a year ago? See ya! Don't act grossed out, your fridge has stuff with legs too. Or stuff that had legs at some point and now just smells like ass. Or maybe it contains nothing but beer and mustard and you're not in university anymore. Fridges are telling. And mine's telling me I'm a big-time procrastinator with an unwavering love of pizza whose spinach turns to mush as leftovers but then I forgot to put it in the green bin on Friday (when it was already overdue by several days) and now it'll have to sit there until NEXT Friday because otherwise raccoons will rip apart my green bin and all my disgusting food remnants will freeze to my (unshovelled) driveway and my ancient Italian neighbour will have a heart attack and die because of the mess and then SHE will be frozen to the driveway and I won't be able to get my car out so the kids will be late for their first day back to school and I'll feel guilty *and* worry that I'm going to jail for murder. Man, maybe I should've held the 'shrooms on that pizza.
The mental clutter is a one-two combo of applying for a job and hiring a new contractor. Trying to think of a third item that could complete this hellish trifecta but I don't think there is such a thing. I'm excited about the job and had an HR friend review my resume (thanks Emily!). Need to write a cover letter, compose a professional sounding email and hit send as it sounds like an interesting opportunity and my New Years resolution was to face fear. Truthfully I'm as scared of success as I am of failure so I may as well try to court success, right? Hiring the new contractor will be harder. My budget is very small and I want someone good but am concerned that I'll have to whore myself out to find it. Hopefully the stars will align and my virtue will remain intact. I'll buy Altoids just in case though. Better safe than sorry. Wish me luck x2!
No comments:
Post a Comment